Corporate Counsel / Head of Legal
Your Role at Bolt
What you will be doing
- Oversee all legal and compliance affairs for Bolt’s various lines of business and advise the executive team and management at all levels of the organization accordingly
- Draft and refine form commercial agreements and coordinate the execution / negotiation of commercial agreements with clients, partners, and vendors
- Coordinate the resolution of issues relating to consumer protection, privacy, data, HR, and other compliance, etc.
- Create and execute a strategy of leveraging external counsel and managing engagements
- Forumulate, implement and manage internal policies and procedures to ensure compliance.
- Anticipate and identify legal risks globally, stay abreast of various regulatory developments, and use critical thinking to provide proactive and strategic solutions to eliminate or mitigate those risks
- Research unique legal issues impacting the organization including those specific to eCommerce and payments
What would set you up for success
- JD from a top-tier law school along with good standing of the California State Bar or eligibility to register as in-house counsel in California
- At least 8 years of broad-based yet in-depth contract law and commercial experience
- In-house experience at a high growth tech startup
- Your current portfolio includes technology-related commercial, corporate, and HR legal matters specific to Enterprise B2B operations, ideally concerning international and cross-border transactions
- Outstanding knowledge of commercial contract law and negotiation
- Excellent analytical skills and versatility in solving and managing legal issues
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills are a non-negotiable
- Candidates must be eligible to work in the U.S. for other than practical training
What would set you apart
- Understanding of current International data protection and privacy legislation is a plus
- CIPP certification
- Previous experience within eCommerce or Payments
- Bolt is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Be 20% Wrong
As a startup, speed is extremely important. The quicker we move, the more mistakes we make. If we are making no mistakes, it means, quite simply, that we’re not moving fast enough. Therefore, a 20% error rate is, not only permissible, but expected. If you’re not wrong 20% of the time, you’re not moving fast or ambitious enough.
Fear is the primary motivator of human action. It drives people to cherish safety and complacency, coupled with an aversion to risk and change. However, it’s risk and change that advances the human race. Extreme risk and change is required to disrupt the digital commerce space as we know it. The outside world can’t possibly have the same knowledge that we have within our company walls. While we’re being called crazy, we must be fearless and driven by our internal conviction.
Chase 10X, Not 10%
The only way a startup with 10s of people can outcompete corporations with 1000s is by leveraging its force multipliers of nimbleness, talent, and creativity. Large corporations focus on 10% optimizations to generate millions in revenue. They cannot evoke major changes without years of preparation. As a startup, we don’t have that luxury… it also does not make economic sense to optimize something that’s very small. There are always more incremental features to build. There are always more incremental people to hire. But, from product to people, we must consistently chase 10X opportunities and force multipliers.
All or Nothing
All or Nothing is the guiding philosophy for our decisions. Starting with why we work at Bolt, it is, quite simply, because we’re obsessed. We’re not here to advance our professional careers or for a financial outcome. We’re here because we’re obsessed with changing the world and becoming the best versions of ourselves. And we trust that, to the degree to which we do what we are obsessed with, everything else in life will fall into place. Similarly, we make only “All or Nothing” decisions about others we bring onto the team and product features we build.
Keep it Simple
Complexity worship has drowned the modern world. Simple solutions are harder to come to, and, rather than be dismissed as “too simplistic”, should be hailed as a result of clear thinking. Simplicity enables speed, reduces cost, and allows for faster learning.
Win as a Team
At Bolt, we want everyone to be as successful in their pursuits as possible. We know that our peers’ successes are tied to ours. And their triumphs, whether personal, professional, or otherwise, will benefit the company and us as individuals in the long-term.
- Work with a world-class team
- Significant equity at a fast-growing company
- Ownership and autonomy over substantial projects
- Health benefits for you and your family
- Daily breakfast, lunch, dinner, and SNACKS
- Relocation support
- An office filled with energy and optimism